Pages

People and Place

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Thinking about location

The brief is to find six very different settings or backgrounds which could be used effectively for whole body or torso portrait.  This is something I do a lot especially for my street people project. I'll look for a dark door or a textured wall. A couple around Kings Cross that I particularly like.  There are several spots at Somerset House that I like depending on the colour of the day.  If it is a bright day I'll seek a place in a park so I can use a tree to block some of the harsh sunlight. If indoors I will look for a window to give me some sidelight. For the picture below I had to take a quick scan around to find somewhere suitable. For these pictures I am taking I don't always get the chance to come back so I have spent time on getting to know spots in the area that aren't too distracting and the light will work. With my street people photos I have to rely solely on ambient light. For this man I didn't have very much time before his friends dragged him away. I had to think quickly and direct him to this wall as we were near a busy intersection. Most of the buildings around were very busy as well. I wanted the focus to just be him.  Fortunately the planter box was empty except for pebbles. By keeping the background as simple as possible I was able to keep the focus on the man, his can of beer and cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment